Friday, April 28, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #19

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of April, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Manaforge
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Yes, you're right, Manaforge was my featured game in my last Eye on Kickstarter also. But I wanted to feature it again in this update because it only has a couple more days left and really needs the help to fund. This is a great game with incredible artwork and at an amazing price (only $40 including shipping for a game with dozens of custom dice and breathtaking artwork!), and I'm amazed that it is struggling to fund. Manaforge uses some very cool dice selection, resource management, and engine building mechanics with some really awesome artwork to create a very fun, and thinky experience. Manaforge is up there with the best games I've previewed for Kickstarter and it needs your help to fund! This is a game that definitely deserves to be made. Plus there are a number of really exciting expansions in the works, but the only way those will see the light is if the base game is successful. So be sure to take a look at Manaforge today!


Ever wonder where magical items come from? You're about to find out!

Manaforge is a dice-rolling, resource management game of crafting magical equipment. Players step into the role of wizards who specialize in creating magic items. Each wizard owns a magic shop in which they display the fruits of their labor for gold-laden adventurers to come in and purchase.

However, the adventurers' funds are finite, so wizards must compete to make their shops stand out from the rest. And what better way to impress adventurers then to have the most impressive selection of useful and powerful magical gear. At the end of the day, the wizard who accumulates the most Prestige (victory points) will attract the customers and make the sales. May the craftiest wizard win!





Ember Mage Nights
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • The Ember games from District 31 have been fairly successful on Kickstarter over the last few years. This is a campaign for some updates, a mini expansion, and the opportunity to round out your Ember collection (or start one). This game line features some awesome artwork and some interesting gameplay.


Brass: Lancashire & Brass: Birmingham
  • Brass was one of the top ranked games on BGG for quite a while. OK, it still is... But now Roxley games is releasing an updated version of the Martin Wallace classic for it's 10th anniversary. This new version has absolutely stunning new artwork and components. Plus, they're also releasing an equally stunning standalone sequel to Brass, called Brass: Birmingham.


Tesla vs Edison: Duel
  • One of my gaming regrets is that I still haven't had a chance to play Tesla vs Edison, despite owning the Kickstarter edition of the game. I hope to rectify that this year though. In the meantime, there's a new, 2-player version of Tesla vs Edison on Kickstarter right now. This looks like it brings the historical battle to a quick, two player game that you can knock out over a lunch break.


Rayguns and Rocketships
  • Rayguns and Rocketships brings that classic pulp science fiction theme to your tabletop with fun, kitschy artwork and retro styled miniatures. This looks like it would be a blast to play, especially if you're a fan of old Buck Rodgers styled sci-fi shows.


The White Box
  • Again, this isn't actually a game. But if you've ever thought about making your own game, this is the kit for you. It contains a number of standard components, including some pre-printed tokens and other bits. It also contains a number of essays about game design to help you get your ideas out of your head and onto the table.

1 comment:

  1. I'm backing 4 projects right now with my eye on 2 more.

    Current:
    Rise to Nobility - Dice placement in a fantasy setting. Sophomore effort from the team that made Cavern Tavern last year.
    Petrichor - Role play as a cloud! Nice components and simple mechanics.
    One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows - I missed the original, so I'm all in on plastic for this one.
    Barbarians: The Invasion - Euro bathed in Ameritrash game with a nice worker placement mechanic with spaces located on rotating, concentric, 3-d rings.

    Upcoming:
    Tradewars: Homeworld - Deck builder from the publishers of Tau Ceti: Planetary Crisis
    Path of Light and Shadow - Awesome looking and sounding card-based game where your moral choices have consequences on game play

    ReplyDelete