Friday, May 26, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #21

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of May, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Roll Player: Monsters & Minions
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • In 2015 I had the fortune to review Roll Player before it hit Kickstarter. This year I got to play the expansion and post up a review for that as well. Roll Player is one of my favorite newer games and I'm super excited for the expansion. Monsters & Minions add a whole new layer of strategy to the game and seamlessly brings in thematic elements like fighting monsters, earning XP, and going on a final big adventure. If you like Roll Player (and you should), Monsters & Minions is a must have expansion!


The King has raised a call to arms! Create your character. Earn experience and confront the vile monster terrorizing the village!

Roll Player: Monsters & Minions is an exciting new expansion to the critically acclaimed Roll Player -- the dice game that builds character! In Roll Player: Monsters & Minions, players compete to construct the greatest fantasy character, gather information about the looming threat and prepare for a final showdown against a Monster!





The Manhattan Project 2: Minutes to Midnight
  • This sequel to the critically acclaimed The Manhattan Project is actually the fourth game in the family, which also includes Energy Empire and Chain Reaction. This series of games is from Minion Games, a big supporter of independent designers here in the midwest. James Mathe, the owner of Minion Games, attends Protospiels and other designer events in the area and also runs a very popular blog about designing and Kickstarting games. The designer, Brandon Tibbetts, also attends Protospiels in the area. This looks just as exciting and interesting as the other games in the series, so be sure to check it out.


Halloween
  • Have I mentioned before that Halloween is my favorite holiday? I love everything about the holiday, and always have. The fall weather, the costumes, pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, and of course, scaring people. I ran a very successful haunted house for three years in college and still look back fondly on those days. So it's no surprise that I've got my eye on a game called Halloween. The art and minis look great, the gameplay looks interesting, I'm just disappointed that there aren't any 3rd party reviews or actual gameplay video.


Sweetwater String Band - At Night
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Once again I'm sharing a campaign that has nothing to do with tabletop games. This time it's a band that's looking to fund their third album. The Sweetwater String Band is one of the few artists I have on my MP3 player that my wife NEVER asks me to skip a song by. That's saying quite a lot! We love their upbeat folk rhythms and how they use a cello more like a fiddle. Lots of fun, and you should check them out!

And just so you can hear how awesome they are, here's one of their songs from an older album that I have on my MP3 player.

1 comment:

  1. I'm backing 3 projects, 2 of which are ending this week. Diceborn Heroes is a dice placement rogue like adventure game and Tradewars: Homeworld is a space deck builder that features role selection and individual market decks. The last one is The Path of Light and Shadow, which combines hand management with area control and has you controlling a single hero building a group of followers to control the land.

    ReplyDelete