Thursday, July 27, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #25

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of July, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
The Spiel Press Roll and Write Gamebooks - Book 1 and 2
  • Roll & Write games seem to be rising in popularity lately, and these two games seem like they are taking the genre to a whole new level. Deeper strategy, campaign style play, and an absolutely gorgeous presentation set these apart from most other roll & write games.


Chart the universe in Star Maps or hold the throne in Blood Royals. Strategy game books with full color, perforation, and variable play.

These game books change as you play them. Depending on the game, this happens in different ways.

In Star Maps, the book changes in two ways as you play. First, the winner of a game will be able to name a star on a special star map in the book. Eventually, winners will be able to build a constellation using those stars. At the end of the book, this will be your great discovery, the cooperate hard work of all games played and won.

The second way is through technology. Players who don't win can unlock new technology. Unlocked technologies gives Bonuses players can use during the game. In future games, any player can use any available technology. In this way, both the winners and the not-so-winners get to affect the story elements.

In Blood Royals, players take on the role of would-be monarchs competing for the throne. When you take a game sheet, it marks who you are. You and your opponent will always be political rivals (ex: Ulthar and Theonid). After you play, the winner is significant. In your next game, you'll circle the name of the character who won the last game. In this way, it creates a "lineage" of kings during your campaign. In addition, you'll read the fiction specific to the new King. That fiction will set up the next game, often asking the players to adjust their sheets in some way.





Perdition's Mouth: Traitor Guard EXPANSION
  • I had my eye on Perditions Mouth when it was originally on Kickstarter and now there's an expansion available. This still looks like an incredible horror game with some really cool mechanics.


Feudum: The Queen's Army
  • Feudum is another game I ogled over in its initial Kickstarter run, and now there's a new solo play expansion. Plus, if you didn't grab the game in the original campaign there's a Big Box version available here with all the other expansions for a somewhat reasonable price.


A Place in the Sun
  • Here's a game with some pretty unique mechanics where actions are determined by the positioning of a dial. I love the space theme, and the mechanics look like they're a fresh take on deck management and action allocation.


Master of the Galaxy
  • A space themed 4x game with bag-building, resource management, area control, tech-tree development, and card drafting? Yes please!


VISITOR in Blackwood Grove
  • I really like deductive logic games, and this looks like a super interesting take on that style of game. Plus I love the E.T. theme here!

No comments:

Post a Comment