Friday, November 22, 2019

Eye on Kickstarter #78


Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any related reviews or interviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2019 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of November, 2019:

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
Legacies by Brookspun Games
Honey Buzz by Elf Creek Games
Tranquility by Board Game Hub
On the Origin of Species by Artana LLC


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
On Pointe
by Analog Game Studios
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Last year I backed Rechord, a game about playing chords on a guitar that uses real guitar picks as components because my oldest son plays Spanish classical guitar. This year I found On Pointe, which, although mainly aimed at a female audience, has just enough male centric characters and components that I decided to back it as a present for my middle son, who started dancing last year and fell in love with ballet. The game looks pretty simple, with most of the strategy coming from out maneuvering and blocking your opponents (it would be great to have a cooperative variant somehow where the players have to work together as a troupe), but it looks fun and the theme is great for an aspiring ballet dancer of any gender!


On Pointe is a board game where players advance as a professional dancer would, from learning the basic ballet moves, mastering rehearsals, performing on stage, competing to become Prima Ballerina and accepting their bouquet at curtain call.

The game is competitive for 2 to 4 players and stays true to its theme throughout. Points are accumulated by collecting gems and treasures for the tutu or tunic score board, with the winner decided by total points scored at the end of the game. There are plenty of strategic and tactical options available to the player when deciding on which dance move they select and when they apply their power-up tokens.





Bewere
by Bewere Card Game
  • I saw this earlier in the month, but skipped right past it, thinking it was just another Mafia/Werewolf ripoff. But then something about it caught my attention and I looked closer. It's not a social deduction ripoff game, instead it's a card game with some pretty interesting mechanics. Your goal is to get villager cards in your hand to turn into werewolves, but not die because they've received too many bites, but also not survive as villagers or they'll riddle you full of silver bullets. I think this one was definitely worth the second look and it could use some help in its last week.


Wallet Games Reprint
by Button Shy Games


Rare Roses
by Cravon Studios
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Rare Roses was on Kickstarter a few months ago. Now it's back with a lower funding goal (it's already funded) but the same intriguing gameplay and great artwork.


Ducks in Tow
by First Fish Games
  • This is an absolutely adorable looking game, with quite a bit of strategy and puzzle solving. I love the custom meeple pieces that bring their own ducks with them!


Loot of Lima
by BoardGameTables.com
  • For a while now I've been thinking of an idea for a roll & write game, but was stuck on how to get it to do what I wanted. Then I saw a picture of the dice in Loot of Lima and inspiration hit! My game has been coming along just great, and I'm happy to say that, other than the dice, it has nothing in common with Loot of Lima. The idea did cause me to look into Loot of Lima more closely, however, and I really find it intriguing. I love deduction games and this really seems to be a novel approach at it, without relying on an app to store the solution.


Goblin Teeth
by Jellybean Games
  • Jellybean Games is becoming very well known for putting out some excellent lighter games, perfect for families or as fillers. Goblin Teeth is the latest in their line of fun games, with some fun press-your-luck mechanics.


Venice
by Braincrack Games
  • This is a really unique looking worker placement type of game with cool gondola pieces that travel around Venice, activating workers as it passes. I really like the twist on worker placement that this offers!


Dispel Dice Debut Collection
by Dispel Dice
  • I'm not a huge fan of dice (though my wife thinks my huge bin of them that I use for game designs says otherwise), but these really caught my eye. They look like gorgeous gemstones with inclusions that sparkle like fireworks. These are absolutely gorgeous, though $48 for a set of seven seems quite expensive. I'm happy to oggle over their beauty and then go back to my bag of 100 random dice I got for $20.


Turrim Dice Tower
by Moonmares Games
  • Check it out, two sets of dice in one update! This is probably the most unique set of dice that I've ever seen. On their own each is a unique type of die that generates its result by rolling or spinning. But it's when the dice come together that things really take a unique turn. Stacked, these dice create a work of art - a wizard's tower that can stay out on display even when you're not using the dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment