Tuesday, August 18, 2020

People Behind the Meeples - Episode 240: Sindri Levi

Welcome to People Behind the Meeples, a series of interviews with indie game designers.  Here you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about the people who make the best games that you may or may not have heard of before.  If you'd like to be featured, head over to http://gjjgames.blogspot.com/p/game-designer-interview-questionnaire.html and fill out the questionnaire! You can find all the interviews here: People Behind the Meeples. Support me on Patreon!


Name:Sindri Levi
Email:sindri.design@gmail.com
Location:Reykjavik, Iceland.
Day Job:I am a college student, studying architecture. But designing Reckless Sloths has become like a day job to me during the summer.
Designing:One to two years.
Webpage:recklesssloths.com
Blog:recklesssloths.com/blog
BGG:Sindri_Levi
Facebook:Sindri Leví Ingason
Twitter:@RecklessSloths
YouTube:Reckless Sloths
Instagram:@reckless_sloths/
Find my games at:I will be launching my first game on Kickstarter this fall!
Today's Interview is with:

Sindri Levi
Interviewed on: 7/18/2020

Sindri Levi is a designer from Iceland who has been working on the game Reckless Sloths, a card game about getting sloths out of silly situations. It should be on Kickstarter in October, so keep your eyes peeled for the game, or join the Reckless Sloths Facebook group to keep aprised of the game's development. Read on to learn more about Sindri!

Some Basics
Tell me a bit about yourself.

How long have you been designing tabletop games?
One to two years.

Why did you start designing tabletop games?
I have loved creating board games since I was a little kid. So my dream was always to publish one. It wasn't until I met my girlfriend, that I actually decided to do it. I had told her for over a year that I was going to do it soon, until she just told me to stop waiting and just do it!

What game or games are you currently working on?
I am currently working on a card game called Reckless Sloths.

Have you designed any games that have been published?
Not yet.

What is your day job?
I am a college student, studying architecture. But designing Reckless Sloths has become like a day job to me during the summer.

Your Gaming Tastes
My readers would like to know more about you as a gamer.

Where do you prefer to play games?
In my living room.

Who do you normally game with?
Usually with my girlfriend, but also with my family.

If you were to invite a few friends together for game night tonight, what games would you play?
I love settlers of Catan, I usually get very competitive playing it. Splendor and Ticket to ride are also favorites. However most of the time I love playing card games like Exploding Kittens, or Unstable Unicorns.

And what snacks would you eat?
Chocolate covered pretzels were the first thing that came to mind. But normally I'll eat anything :)

Do you like to have music playing while you play games? If so, what kind?
I don't mind having music. I would choose some upbeat 80's songs, like "don't stop believing".

What’s your favorite FLGS?
Nexus (Reykjavik, Iceland)

What is your current favorite game? Least favorite that you still enjoy? Worst game you ever played?
My favorite has to be Catan. I don't particularly like Monopoly but I like holding large amounts of "money" in my hands. All games are good with good company. So I don't really have one.

What is your favorite game mechanic? How about your least favorite?
Hand management maybe, I have a few. My least favorite is probably "memory", my girlfriend always destroys me.

What’s your favorite game that you just can’t ever seem to get to the table?
I can't think of one.

What styles of games do you play?
I like to play Board Games, Card Games, Video Games

Do you design different styles of games than what you play?
I like to design Board Games, Card Games

OK, here's a pretty polarizing game. Do you like and play Cards Against Humanity?
No

You as a Designer
OK, now the bit that sets you apart from the typical gamer. Let's find out about you as a game designer.

When you design games, do you come up with a theme first and build the mechanics around that? Or do you come up with mechanics and then add a theme? Or something else?
This is the first game I have ever designed. So I can only speak for this one game. I first decided on basing around sloths. Then it sort of just came to me that the game should be about saving them from all sorts of wacky dangers. Then I built the mechanics around that idea.

Have you ever entered or won a game design competition?
No.

Do you have a current favorite game designer or idol?
Jamey stegmaier, I just love his analytical way of thinking. I have read through his whole kickstarter blog, as well as his book. His games are also great! I also like Elan Lee, creator of Exploding Kittens.

Where or when or how do you get your inspiration or come up with your best ideas?
The best ideas come to me when I'm driving in my car, or when I'm somewhere alone. I like writing every idea (good and bad ones) on a post-it note. Then I just throw them all into one pile and go over them later on.

How do you go about playtesting your games?
I invite my friends and family or go to a local gaming store.

Do you like to work alone or as part of a team? Co-designers, artists, etc.?
Usually alone, unless it's with someone who thinks in a similar way, like my girlfriend.

What do you feel is your biggest challenge as a game designer?
I can't think of one. I love everything about making board games, from designing it to planning manufacturing.

If you could design a game within any IP, what would it be?
I would LOVE to create a Crash Bandicoot board game!

What do you wish someone had told you a long time ago about designing games?
It's the most fun ever!

What advice would you like to share about designing games?
Don't be afraid to share your idea or progress with people. No one is going to steal your idea, odds are they're going to love it and support you.

Would you like to tell my readers what games you're working on and how far along they are?
I'm planning to crowdfund: Reckless Sloths
Games I feel are in the final development and tweaking stage are: Reckless Sloths

Are you a member of any Facebook or other design groups? (Game Maker’s Lab, Card and Board Game Developers Guild, etc.)
Yup, all of them haha.

And the oddly personal, but harmless stuff…
OK, enough of the game stuff, let's find out what really makes you tick! These are the questions that I’m sure are on everyone’s minds!

Star Trek or Star Wars? Coke or Pepsi? VHS or Betamax?
Star Wars. probably Coke, but I'll take either one, VHS.

What hobbies do you have besides tabletop games?
Running long distances, I am training for a marathon this summer. I love playing basketball as well. Travelling. Learning languages.

What is something you learned in the last week?
No goal is too big to achieve.

Favorite type of music? Books? Movies?
I love all upbeat 80's music. Spiritual and self-help books. I don't watch movies a lot anymore but my favorites are psychological-thrillers (Sixth sense, Inception, 2001: a space odyssey)

What was the last book you read?
The secret

Do you play any musical instruments?
No.

Tell us something about yourself that you think might surprise people.
I live in Iceland and I speak Lithuanian :D

Tell us about something crazy that you once did.
Shortly after me and my girlfriend started dating, she went on a trip with her parents to visit the rest of her family in Lithuania. She was going to be there for 30 days. However after 3 days of being apart I couldn't take it and bought a plane ticket to her. 5 days later I met her (on her birthday).

Biggest accident that turned out awesome?
Can't think of one :/

Who is your idol?
In basketball, Jimmy Butler. But I don't really have one.

What would you do if you had a time machine?
I wouldn't touch that thing! I would be too afraid of the consequences. Well... maybe I would travel to the future, just to see how everything turns out.

Are you an extrovert or introvert?
An introvert for sure. Although I'm not really shy anymore.

If you could be any superhero, which one would you be?
Good question! Probably flash since I'm really into running lately :D

Have any pets?
Nope, but I will probably get a cat one day.

When the next asteroid hits Earth, causing the Yellowstone caldera to explode, California to fall into the ocean, the sea levels to rise, and the next ice age to set in, what current games or other pastimes do you think (or hope) will survive into the next era of human civilization? What do you hope is underneath that asteroid to be wiped out of the human consciousness forever?
I would want all games to survive :) Except for maybe all those versions monopoly (The original can maybe stay).

If you’d like to send a shout out to anyone, anyone at all, here’s your chance (I can’t guarantee they’ll read this though):
A shout out to my whole family, thanks for all your support :)

Just a Bit More
Thanks for answering all my crazy questions! Is there anything else you'd like to tell my readers?

I would give anything for a pizza right now :/




Thank you for reading this People Behind the Meeples indie game designer interview! You can find all the interviews here: People Behind the Meeples and if you'd like to be featured yourself, you can fill out the questionnaire here: http://gjjgames.blogspot.com/p/game-designer-interview-questionnaire.html

Did you like this interview?  Please show your support: Support me on Patreon! Or click the heart at Board Game Links , like GJJ Games on Facebook , or follow on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment