Friday, May 11, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #43

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of May, 2018:

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
The Faceless ENDING TODAY!!!


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Tricky Tides
  • Tricky Tides looks like a fantastic game all around. The artwork is wonderful, the gameplay looks simple, yet intriguing, and it just looks all out fun. I really, really want to back this one, but unfortunately I've already pushed my Kickstarter budget a bit too far in the past few weeks. There have been some really great games lately and Tricky Tides looks like yet another great one./li>


Sail your merchant ship between islands, delivering goods to earn the most gold! A game by an award-winning designer for 2-4 players.

Hoist your sails, watch for sea monsters, and mind those tricky tides as you travel from island to island, collecting and delivering goods to earn the most gold. Take command of a merchant ship as you manage both your hand of navigation cards and your ship’s cargo hold while charting the best course on the map!

Tricky Tides is a pick-up-and-deliver game that uniquely employs trick taking to determine turn order and the direction players can move their ships. This nautical-themed fusion of game mechanics is sure to bring something new to your game table.





Penny Lane
  • Penny Lane is designed by Justin Blaske, the designer of Mint Works. This looks like a relaxing, casual game about building the most prosperous street in the neighborhood. The artwork is charming and the gameplay looks fun and casual, yet deep enough to be fulfilling.


Dungeonrunner
  • At first glance I passed over Dungeonrunner, thinking it was just another cheap card game. But as I saw more people back it I decided to give it a closer look. This looks like a fascinating solo dungeon adventure with black and white artwork reminiscent of classic RPG tomes. I never really got into playing RPGs, but I was always fascinated by the artwork, from the full color paintings to the fine line art drawings. This definitely has a unique emphasis on the latter.


Cosmic Run: Regeneration
  • This is a relaunch of a game that was previously in a combined campaign with another game by Dr. Finn called Waters of Nereus. Both look like awesome games, but I think Cosmic Run: Regeneration will be a lot more successful in a campaign on its own. This is designed by Dr. Finn (Steve Finn), who is known for designing really awesome middle-weight filler games. The usually only take 20-45 minutes and are a ton of fun. Cosmic Run: Regeneration looks to be no exception.


Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden
  • Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden has some of the most charming artwork I've seen in a long time. The old-fashioned look had me checking to see for sure, but yes, this is all new artwork, not taken from some antique almanacs or cookbooks! The gameplay looks interesting as well, both for solo and two player games.


Castle von Loghan
  • Castle von Loghan has an interesting premise and some cool looking mechanics. I'm not sure I'm sold on the story and theme though; it seems like too much cool stuff is wedged into a not-completely-coherent story-line. This is definitely one to watch though.


Tales of the Northlands: The Sagas of Noggin the Nog
  • Based on the classic BBC tv series, this looks like a great worker placement game with versions perfect for both serious and more casual (or younger) gamers. The artwork is outstanding, too.


The Neverland Rescue
  • Here's yet another Scott Almes game that looks incredibly fun and thematic. Plus, it's from Letiman games, who is known for producing some great, whimsical games that are more than they seem.


Journal 29: Revelation
  • A few weeks ago I backed Graphic Novel Adventures, a fascinating evolution of choose-your-own adventure books. Now I stumbled upon Journal 29, a really interesting take on puzzle books. This is the second in a series, and you can get the first book in this campaign, too, but I didn't want to wait, so I found the first book on Amazon. I'm hoping to get through it in the next few weeks to see if I want to grab this second book, too.


Forsaken Forest
  • I've been seeing more games come out lately that try to take the social deduction mechanic and build it into a longer, more in-depth game. This one looks sufficiently creepy to keep you on the edge of your seat.


AZIMUTH: Ride the Winds
  • Azimuth is another gorgeous looking game with some very interesting mechanics. Essentially an abstract strategy, racing game, with a wonderful theme, in Azimuth each player is trying to move rafts, swim, and shift the winds in order to be the first to reach their lighthouse. This looks like a ton of fun!


Dubious Musicians: Funny, Little Calamityware Plates
  • Every so often I stumble upon something that's not a game, but I'm interested in anyway. A few months ago I discovered Calamitware and backed the Gang’s-All-Here platter. Don Moyer's artwork for these dishes hides hilarious little secrets in what, at first glance, appears to be traditional porcelain plates, platters, bowels, and mugs. In this case, it's a set of four different small plates with instrument playing monkeys (and other hidden creatures). I've already received the platter I backed a few months ago and the quality is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment