Friday, September 9, 2016

Eye on Kickstarter #4

Eye on Kickstarter #4

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2016 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of September, 2016:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Radiant
  • GJJ Games Review
  • People Behind the Meeples - Designer Interview (Coming Soon - 9/20)
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Radiant is a unique combination of time honored game mechanics (trick taking, area control, drafting) with some new twists. It is accessible to new gamers and deep enough for experienced gamers. It is easily explained in a few minutes, quick to play, and looks stunning.


A war in three ages. Activate assassins, command knights, and claim mystical temples in this beautifully designed board game.

Discover the world of Perim, where Avis scouts soar in the clouds, Treefolk assassins swing through the forests, and Mariner knights ride fantastic mounts to island temples. Come live the ages of the Radiant.

  • Draft an army of warriors including the powerful Radiant.
  • Assemble sets of units to show your strength.
  • Lead your army through the four realms of Perim.
  • Activate assassins to target threats.
  • Mount knights for ultimate power.
  • Constant player engagement with battle/turn mechanic.
  • 2-4 Players
  • 30-60 minutes






Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I LOVE everything Tiny Epic! I've been a backer since the second campaign for Tiny Epic Defenders and added the original Tiny Epic Kingdoms during that campaign, and I've never looked back! The Tiny Epic series is by far my favorite series of games and I've loved everything I've played by designer Scott Almes.


No Honor Among Thieves


ORIGINZ
  • People Behind the Meeples - Designer Interview (Coming Soon - 9/22)
  • ORIGINZ looks like a fun super-hero card game with tons of awesome abilities. Plus you can play your character as either a hero or a villain!


7 Seize
  • I'm not completely sold on the gameplay, but the components look great and the whole idea of your score being based on the weight of the treasure you collect is very interesting. I like that you can add pretty much anything to the loot pile to keep the game interesting and unique every time!


One Night Ultimate Alien
  • The latest in the One Night Ultimate series of games, this looks like it adds an interesting use of the app to keep games unpredictable and fresh. I'm not sure I'm sold on the reliance on the app though, but I'm sure there are plenty of roles that can be added to the other ONU games that can be fit in without the app.


Tiki Island
  • I have a friend that loves anything Tiki related. He also loves board games. So when the two merge he's all over it!


Nightmarium
  • I love the art in this game and how the cards fit together to form all sorts of horrifying monsters!


Endangered Orphans of Condyle Cove
  • I'm not quite sure what to make of this game. The campaign is amazing, and quite darkly humorous. The artwork looks great. But the gameplay looks very simple. Still, it looks like it would be a fun one to have in a collection.


Fidget Cube
  • OK, so this isn't a game, but you can definitely play with it! I'm a big fidgeter, and so are my kids. So we're seriously considering backing this to give the whole family something to fidget with!

No comments:

Post a Comment