Friday, August 25, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #27

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of August, 2017:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Radiant
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • The Best Kickstarter Previews & Prototypes of 2016
  • Well, I guess the third time is the charm! This is Radiant's third go at funding on Kickstarter and this time the game has finally funded and is working it's way through stretch goals now. I'm super thrilled about this because Radiant was my #1 favorite Kickstarter preview of all of 2016. This is a great blend of trick taking, area control, and drafting - three mechanics you don't typically see combined in one game. The artwork has been refined, cost has been reduced, and the game is still awesome. At just $29, including shipping, this should be an automatic pledge for just about everyone. Check out Radiant now, back it, share it, and let's help this blow up on Kickstarter!


Long ago, we had peace in Perim and the four races lived in balance. Then came the Dawning, an event that changed some into new beings. They had become Radiant, acquiring abilities to fight beyond the borders of their own realm. The delicate balance of Perim was destroyed. War covered the land for an age before the dust settled. The peoples of Perim were hopeful that this new peace would hold, but we hoped in vain. A second Dawning occurred. The rise of a new Radiant people threw the world once more into chaos. And so we have come to accept the cycle of the Radiant. Even as our cultures struggle to advance, in each age the power shifts anew. Some say our only hope is to unite Perim under a single banner. Will it be yours?

Discover the world of Perim, where Avis scouts soar in the clouds, Treefolk assassins swing through the forests, and Mariner Knights ride fantastic mounts to island temples. Come live the ages of the Radiant!
  • Draft an army of warriors including the versatile Radiant.
  • Assemble sets of units to show your strength.
  • Lead the war through the four realms of Perim to claim majorities on the map.
  • Activate assassins to target threats from your opponent's hand.
  • Pair knights with mounts for the strongest play.
  • Claim mystic temples, activate arcane portals.
  • Constant player engagement with trick-taking battles.
  • 2-4 players, 30-60 minutes





  • Wanted Earth
    • GJJ Games Review
    • GJJ Games Backed
    • People Behind the Meeples Interview 1
    • People Behind the Meeples Interview 2
    • This is the second time Wanted Earth has hit Kickstarter and this campaign has a number of improvements over the first. First, both the price and the funding goal have come way down. There are also solo and co-op rules being worked on, and the campaign has been streamlined quite a bit to help drive the game toward funding. So far it seams to be working, with the campaign at about 45% funded already. I had quite a bit of fun playing and reviewing this miniatures skirmish game. Great minis, some cool component innovations, and solid, dice chucking gameplay should keep this on your radar if you're a fan of dudes on a map, amerithrash games.


    Now Boarding
    • Now Boarding is a game I had the fortune to playtest at Protospiel Chicago last September, almost a year ago. I saw the game again at Protospiel Madison in October and Protospiel Milwaukee in April. It's an interesting semi-real time cooperative game with a unique theme. I wasn't completely sold on the timed, simultaneous turns, but did like the mechanics and cooperation and discussion that the game promotes. This comes from designer Tim Fowers, who has a few other successful games out, like Paperback and Burgle Bros., and this has just as solid mechanics and fun gameplay as his previous titles.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment