Friday, December 7, 2018

People Behind the Meeples - Protospiel Madison 2018 Quick Interviews

Welcome to the People Behind the Meeples Protospiel Madison 2018 Quick Interviews. These are just like my regular interviews, only quicker. I first did a few of these at Gen Con back in August and had fun with them, so I decided to do a few at Protospiel, too.  I'm generally busy playing games and getting/giving feedback, but I did take a bit of time out to do a few interviews.  As I run into other designers I ask them a few quick questions about game design, plus one slightly off the wall question decided by the roll of a d12. I hope you enjoy these!

Remember, if you'd like to be featured in a full interview, just fill out the People Behind the Meeples questionnaire here!


Stan Kordonskiy



Current Games: Among others, Payday, a Euro adventure game set in a modern crime setting.

How did you get into game design?
I've always liked playing games and started thinking about why and what game I would like to play.  Then I started making that game!

The Die - #4 - Who is your favorite Disney princess?
Moana [He answered despite many complaints that he didn't choose Princess Leia - GJJ Games]

Kevin Jones


Contact: Facebook or BGG

Current Games: Frontierville, a dice game, similar to Machi Koro or Space Base, with a tile laying mechanic.  Also Evil Medieval, Goodbye Friend, Hello Dinner, and others.

How did you get into game design?
It was an itch I needed to scratch!  Growing up we'd play games like Battle Masters.  We'd end up expanding existing games.  That, and playing games like Dungeons & Dragons got the creative juices flowing and then I wanted to try to make my own games.

The Die - #7 - If you could be a car, what car would you be?
A 1963 Split-Window Vette


Nate Jones


Contact: Facebook, BGG, or Protospiel

Current Games: Several, but was testing an unnamed Alien Attack Game, with the working title Y-Com (totally not XCom) or maybe Hates Aliens

How did you get into game design?
When I was a kid we didn't have access to many games, so we started making our own games with things like Lincoln Logs.  I even typed rules out on my mom's mechanical typewriter!

The Die - #5 - If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see play the lead role as you?
Robert Downey Jr.


Sam Marcus


Contact: www.whiletruefork.com (although it hasn't been updated in a long time)

Current Games: Turtles All the Way Down, a tile laying game.  Welcome to Scenic Cardboard Lake, about developers in a seasonal resort (one of a series of games about cardboard locations).

How did you get into game design?
I can't remember NOT wanting to design games!

The Die - #11 - What do you like on a pizza?
Green bell peppers, onion, black olives, pepperoni, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, and sriracha.  [GJJ Games - Yowzers! That's hot!]


Troy Pichelman


Contact: JTP Games or Facebook

Current Games: The Ogre's Jewels, a dungeon crawler.  Also lots of other things in various stages.

How did you get into game design?
In Junior High I remember making a big war game, but I don't remember why.

The Die - #4 - Who is your favorite Disney princess?
Merida from Brave


Randy Ekl


Contact: Clever Playing Cards or randy@cleverplayingcards.com

Current Games: Cats Save Leningrad and Prime Location among others.

How did you get into game design?
I've always played lots of games.  At work I deal with a lot of patents, which requires looking for a lot of differentiation.  I wanted to apply that to games and started designing my own.

The Die - #9 - What do you think of lava lamps?
I love lava lamps (and alliteration)!  By the way, my favorite Disney Princess is Belle.


For these next two mini-interviews I forgot to grab pictures, so here's some grabbed off their Facebook profiles.

Carl Klutzke



Current Games: Doomed Atlantis, Episode 2 and several others.

How did you get into game design?
I was born that way!

The Die - #10 - What is your favorite color?  Least favorite?
My favorite color is purple, unless I'm playing with Maxine.  My least favorite color is Baby Puke Green.


Arkadiusz Greniuk


Contact: Agrypelago Games

Current Games: Diced Tomatoes, Pyro Tactics, and Brain Pills

How did you get into game design?
I wanted to make a game that was a hybrid of Risk and Monopoly, in space.  I've been working on that game for 10 years now and it's nothing like either!

The Die - #7 - If you could be a car, what car would you be?
A Jeep Wrangler Sahara




Did you like these interviews?  Show your support: Support me on Patreon! Also, click the heart at Board Game Links , like GJJ Games on Facebook , or follow on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.


GJJG Game Reviews are independent, unpaid reviews of games I, George Jaros, have played with my family and friends. Some of these games I own, some are owned by friends, some are borrowed, and some are print and play versions of games. Where applicable I will indicate if games have been played with kids or adults or a mix (Family Play). I won't go into extensive detail about how to play the game (there are plenty of other sources for that information and I'll occasionally link to those other sources), but I will give my impressions of the game and how my friends and family reacted to the game. Quick Reviews will only get a single rating of 1-10 (low-high) based on my first impressions of the game during my first few times playing. Hopefully I'll get more chances to play the game and will be able to give it a full review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment