Friday, December 14, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #55

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of December, 2018:

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
Downlink - ENDS TODAY
Dicees
Terminus Breach TD


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Gaming with Edo - Season 5 ENDING TODAY!
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Ed Baraf was one of the first board game reviewers I started following when I got into the hobby board games industry, and I even did a guest review on his site shortly after I first started reviewing games. It's still the only video review I've ever done! Over the years, Ed has expanded the type of content he produces greatly. Now he does videos for reviews, the League of Gamemakers, and more! He is also a game designer and publisher (Pencil First Games) and just an overall great guy. Be sure to support him, his content is important to the industry! But back quickly. He ran a shorter campaign, and since November had 5 Fridays, I didn't get this posted earlier. His campaign ends today!


Hey Everybody, Edo here,
Welcome to my second Kickstarter as a content creator! Over the past four years, I've been thrilled to contribute to the board game and Kickstarter community with Game Reviews, Kickstarter Advice, and Industry Q&As on my Gaming with Edo YouTube Channel.

The reality is I love making video content for the board game community. It is amazingly rewarding! The channel made huge strides last year due to the support from backers like you! I'm on Kickstarter now specifically to raise funds to buy more equipment (to make Season 5 even more awesome) as well as allow me to create an improved website to quickly find the content you want to watch.





Tainted Grail
  • This reimagining of Arthurian legend looks incredible. Everything from the miniatures, to the artwork, to the story, to the gameplay looks fascinating.


Tales of Evil
  • The '80s are coming back in a big way lately. Between shows like Stranger Things, remakes, reboots, and spin offs of classic movies like Evil Dead and Ghostbusters, and plenty of games based on '80s nostalgia, it's a great time to be a kid of the '80s again. It also speaks greatly to the fact that my generation is now middle aged and a huge target demographic. Tales of Evil is the latest in the nostalgia filled games. This one adds an interesting twist, as it asks you to do things in the real world to help your characters in the game world. I'm not sure how it'll work in practice, but in theory, it's kind of cool to say you have to find batteries in the real world if you want your character's flashlight to work in the game world. That could be fun, or maybe just annoying. We'll see!


Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age
  • This campaign is a bit confusing. It's for a game that is already available (although possibly out of print), but in the campaign you can buy all sorts of different games. It almost feels like Eagle-Gryphon Games is using Kickstarter simply to sell products under a thin veil of reprinting an existing game. I did have a chance to review the first game in this series, Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, and quite liked it, so I have been interested in this sequel. Good luck navigating through the pledge levels though.


Stonehenge and the Sun
  • This looks like a very fun dexterity game, but with a major issue. In order to play you need to have a metal ball suspended above the game. The game comes with a screw-in hook and an adhesive hook that you can use to hang the metal ball. However I don't want to put a permanent (or even temporary) hook on my ceiling in order to be able to play a game. Their alternative suggestion is to use a stand for something like a boom mic to suspend the ball over your game, but I don't plan on going out and buying a boom mic stand for this. And even if I already had something suitable, I wouldn't want to drag it with me to game nights. So what looks like a fun game is really impractical. Maybe you have a better solution that'll work for you though?


Dized
  • Dized is an app that will provide detailed rules and eventually tutorials for board games. It sounds like a great idea, but content will be the kicker here. If they can get enough content and keep that content growing this could be awesome. But that's going to take a lot of work on both their end and from publishers/designers who want their games included. It is possible though (see Tabletopia and Tabletop Simulator), so I wish them luck in their endeavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment