Friday, March 30, 2018

Eye On Kickstarter #40

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth fifth Friday of March, 2018:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Fire in the Library
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • If there's one thing my family has a lot of, besides games, it's books. Nearly every open wall in our house is lined with book shelves. Some have games on them, but most have books. Our friends say we're like our own little library. One of our greatest fears is a fire in the house. How would we choose which books to save? They're all precious! Well, in Fire in the Library our worst fears are turned into a game. That's great, because I wouldn't want to have to rescue burning books in any other way.


Fire! The books are aflame and history is burning before your very eyes! Save what you can in this stunning 30min game for 1-6 players.

Fire in the Library is a press-your-luck game from Weird Giraffe Games by Tony Miller and John Prather with art by Beth Sobel and Katie Khau.

Players are heroic librarians rescuing books to accumulate knowledge and earn bravery all while avoiding the flames before the library collapses!




Heroes Welcome
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • There are a few games that take the heroes questing for treasures trope and flip it on its head. Red Dragon Inn is more about the stories and bragging that happens after the adventure, Manaforge is about magic shop owners, and Heroes Welcome is about conniving salesmen and con artists making a profit off of the local adventurers. It's designed by Marc LeBlanc and developed by the ever talented Eduardo Baraf, so you know it's going to be fun!


Kingdoms Lawn Game
  • I've been on the lookout for games that I can bring on Scout campouts that are more active than board games, yet still have some of the strategy and fun of board games. Kingdoms Lawn Game looks like it might be a contender. Simple, yet with some light strategy, and a pretty wide player count make this look like a good game for Scouts to play.


Unbroken
  • I go through phases where sometimes I play a lot of solo games. Other times I go for months without playing anything solo. Lately life has been so busy that my social gaming has taken a backseat to everything else going on, and my family has been way too busy to play games at home very much. So I've been doing a bit more solo gaming while waiting for the kids to get out of whatever activity they're at tonight, or in the evening after everyone else goes to bed, or while the family is finishing homework and other projects. Unbroken looks like a pretty cool solo game, and it's pretty high on my to-back list right now, I just haven't yet bit the bullet and backed.


True Messiah
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • You might recognize this entry from my last Eye on Kickstarter. This was cancelled this week and then immediately relaunched because the designer/publisher received a new manufacturing quote that was substantially lower than previous quotes. So he decided to pass the savings on to his supporters with a less expensive game and much lower funding goal. I had the fortune to meet the designer of True Messiah, Craig Stern, back in January of 2016 at a game design meetup. There I got to play True Messiah and quite enjoyed it, even in its earlier stages. Craig also attends the Protospiel events that I go to, so we cross paths every so often.


Eternal War of the Candy Realms
  • OK, so this game doesn't interest me from a game perspective. It's more about the potential for some very interesting reading. If you're not familiar with Molly Friedrich's previous campaign for a game called Katalyka, I recommend taking a read through the updates. You'll find them very interesting. Or just watch this video for a summary of the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie6b_sg2fsA
    And here is Molly's response to the video, so you can see her side of what really happened: https://www.facebook.com/ThisClose.ToEscape/posts/10158156658311959

1 comment:

  1. If you really followed my writing, you'd have noticed that i made my peace already.

    I'd much prefer to distract you with my game's outstanding positive qualities;

    ● pleasing art

    ● elegant but deep game play

    ● the unique twist that offers new possibility

    ● casual game appropriate for most ages

    ● low price for content provided

    ● 100% finished game

    ReplyDelete