Friday, July 22, 2016

Eye on Kickstarter #1

Eye on Kickstarter #1

Welcome to the first post in what I hope will become a regular series of posts here on GJJ Games.  This is my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have launched (or I've discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2016 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of July, 2016:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Armored Core™ RTS
  • I have not backed Armored Core™ RTS, but it has really peaked my interest. It is a real time strategy combat game, meaning players are moving their pieces around the board in real time, not turn based. Each miniature has an LED that helps indicate line of sight, which can be blocked by three dimensional buildings and objects. The concept looks very intriguing and I'm watching this game very closely. The combination of awesome looking components with some very novel mechanics means Armored Core™ RTS is definitely one to watch out for.


No dice, no turns, no waiting, in Armored Core™ RTS, players pilot miniature mech models simultaneously through a 3D cityscape. They dodge around corners, boost to the rooftops, and activate weapons at the same time to capture the speed and action of the video games. How is this possible? The developers incorporated a variety of mechanics but the largest innovation is an LED pointer built into each miniatures' base to provide instantaneous line of sight.. Physical buildings provide cover from the lights.

This officially licensed board game version of Armored Core™ is for 2 to 4 players (expandable to 6), and has been specifically designed to be fast to setup, fast to teach and fast to play. Between the 20 minute missions, players spend the rewards they earn for accomplishing objectives to upgrade their mechs and equipment. Like the video games players are able to customize their mech according to their play­style and team role. Over the course of the campaign teams will strive to accomplish objectives for their faction in order to become the ultimate ‘Ravens’. 


Collectors and Capers
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • This was a fun bluffing game that I supported at the base level because they sent me a review copy.


Rollet
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Rollet is an amazingly high quality, high energy dexterity game that I had the privilege of reviewing back in January. If you like tabletop dexterity games for a gameroom, pub, or family room, Rollet is a great choice. It's a ton of fun and I really hope this campaign is wildly successful!


Virus: An Infectious Card Game
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Virus: An Infectious Card Game is the latest in a line of science based games from John Coveyou and Genius Games. I've backed every one of his projects, except the first for Linakge (which I got in the campaign for Peptide). His games are light, educational, and a ton of fun, so backing Virus was a no brainer for me!


Near and Far
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I recently got Above and Below and it very quickly jumped to the top of my favorite games list. It's up there with Terra Mystica, Kemet, Hyperborea, Scythe, and a number of meatier thematic and strategic games, but I'm absolutely in love with the storytelling merged with worker placement mechanics. Near and Far is the sequel to Above and Below and looks to bring a lot more story telling into the game, along with the ability to play longer stories or campaigns across multiple games, letting you use what you built up in previous games on your adventures in future games. One of my criticisms of Above and Below is that I always want to stories to continue. Well, in Near and Far they can!


Barnyard Roundup
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I have supported this project at the base level, but am considering upping my pledge if budget allows. I have followed the development of this light, family and adult friendly, bluffing game from Druid City Games. It's been getting rave reviews and looks to be a great choice for families and gamers alike! Be sure to check it out!


Moonshot: Lunar Solace
  • I have not supported this project, but it looks very interesting and is one I recommend checking out.


Blaze
  • Blaze is not a game I have backed, nor am I considering backing it. I was contacted to do a review of the game, but responded that it didn't look like a fit for my game groups. But why do I have it starred if I'm really not interested in the game? It's because the campaign is just so bizarre. Besides the amazingly colorful video, overly excited designer, and overuse of the word "blaze", the pledge levels are for some of the most interesting things I've ever seen combined with a tabletop game. You can pledge for a prayer, smoothies, paintings, and personal chef. This is one to watch, if only for the entertainment of watching the campaign video again.

No comments:

Post a Comment