Friday, August 26, 2016

Eye on Kickstarter #3

Eye on Kickstarter #3

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2016 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of August, 2016:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Rollet
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Rollet was on Kickstarter a few weeks ago and the campaign failed, however it was just picking up a lot of steam in the last week after great reviews by Tom Vasel and a few others. Well, they're back again with a cleaned up campaign page, lower funding goal (because they got a large wholesale order in that is helping to offset some of the goal), and a slightly cheaper pledge level for the game (£47 instead of £52). And the best part is, Rollet has gone well beyond funding this time around!

    Rollet holds the distinction of being the highest rated game that I've done a Full Review of, earning a whopping 87/100 points! So take this opportunity to grab a copy for yourself! Tom Vasel said he and his daughters enjoyed this more than Crossfire, even more than Klask!


Rollet is a beautiful frantic wooden dexterity game. It's easy to learn, difficult to master, and keeps players whooping and giggling. 

Rollet is the fruit of hours of creative procrastination: inspired by pinball, keepy-uppy football skills, and [the designer's] love of games where you don't wait for your opponent to finish their turn.

Players roll metal balls down their swiveling chute, aiming to hit the large wooden ball into the other side's goal. It's a frantic rush to fire and reload, but trigger happy players risk running out of balls.






Mint Works
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Mint Works looks like a great, simple, tiny little worker placement game for only $10! I love games that I can take with me anywhere to introduce new people to modern games and this looks like it hits the bill perfectly!


Character Meeples
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Character Meeples aren't a game, but they can be used to enhance the aesthetics of just about any game. I backed this at the level to get the fancy tokens for Scythe.


Herbaceous
  • Herbaceous is definitely on my short list of games that I really want to back. It is designed by Steven Finn, developed by Eduardo Baraf, art by Beth Sobel, and a solo variant by Keith Matejka. These are all very talented individuals that I've had the opportunity to communicate with quite a bit online. I've even met with Keith on several occasions and have exchanged game designs (and I've actually reviewed all of the games he's published). This looks like a great game by some great people!


Island Hopper
  • Island Hopper is designed by one of my favorite designers, Scott Almes! It looks like a great, unique combination of a dexterity and social game.


Gadgeteers
  • Gadgeteers looks like a fun war game disguised as a game about making inventions. I'm not thrilled with the art, but the game itself looks like a lot of fun.


Unfair
  • Unfair has gorgeous artwork and looks like a very fun amusement park building game.


What Just Happened
  • What Just Happened looks like an interesting twist on party games, where the object isn't just to make funny combinations or fill in the blank, but to create a funny story based on the cards you've drawn. Best thing is, it's family friendly!


Iliad: Heroes of Troy
  • Iliad: Heroes of Troy was the winning entry in a BGG contest that I almost entered back in 2014. The contest was to design a micro game based on a classic novel. I worked on a game based on the Oz novels, but never felt like it was contest ready. I also worked on an idea based on the Phantom of the Opera, but never got it to testing stages. So I didn't have an official entry, but I followed the contest and now the first game in a series of games based on classic novels is being published.


Underlings of Underwing
  • Underlings of Underwing teaches color theory in an award winning, super fun, gorgeous game.

No comments:

Post a Comment