Friday, January 27, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #13

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of January, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Heroes of Land, Air & Sea
  • It should come as no surprise now that I absolutely love the Tiny Epic series by Scott Almes and Gamelyn Games. Heroes of Land, Air & Sea is the first not-tiny, but still epic game from that team. It's a huge 4x game that plays on a 26" x 39" board, has 80+ minis, and a bunch of cardboard constructs. Unfortunately for me the price is similarly epic, coming in at $100 for just the base game ($60 without miniatures) and $220 if you want everything. That's a bit outside my budget at this time, unless I can find someone to pay me for this puddle of drool...


Heroes of Land, Air & Sea breaks the mold of regular 4X games in that it is easy to learn, simple to play, and games only last 2 hours. It is a Scott Almes design after all, designer of the Tiny Epic series.

It's this simple: each player performs two actions per round. You can take a Capital Action, which could be followed by other players by using a peon. Or, you may take a Conquest action, which can be rallied and allow you to double down on your own actions. After each player has taken their two actions, players will collect resources based on the regions they control and then start a new round. This continues until a player triggers one of the four end game conditions: Expand, Exploit, Explore, or Exterminate!




Land of Zion ECG
  • Interview Coming Soon
  • Land of Zion is a gorgeous looking Expandable Card Game from a somewhat local designer (only about an hour away from where I live). If you're into ECG style card games be sure to check this one out.


Kiwetin
  • This looks like an adorable, light game with a fun theme. It's definitely for the more casual crowd, but it just looks like a ton of fun.


The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch
  • I have the first game in this series; On Her Majesty's Service. I really like that game since it's a relatively light puzzly type of game, but this one seems to be quite a bit different. It has some awesome miniatures and looks like an interesting campaign style game. The world that is being build for these World of Smog games is fascinating, creepy, and exciting. I can't wait to see more games set in this universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment