Friday, July 14, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #24

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of July, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
The Stonebound Saga
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Formerly Land of Zion, The Stonebound Saga has absolutely amazing artwork and intriguing gameplay. The designer, Eric Bitterman, somewhat local for me (only about an hour away from where I live). If you're into expandable style card games (ECGs) be sure to check this one out. It's worth it for the art alone!


A high fantasy themed strategic card game with unit positioning, resource management, and high replay value for 2-6 players.

In the Stonebound Saga you and your opponent control a group of 'Stonebound'; those from the world of Telios who have responded to the 'Speaking Stones'. These Speaking Stones began humming and pulsing when the lost city of Lux reappeared after disappearing thousands of years ago. Those who respond to the stones and hone their power become known as Stonebound. These stones are equipped to their weapons and armor to enable feats of incredible power and skill unlike anything the world has seen.

Players pre-construct or draft teams of stonebound who are training against each other in preparation for an impending battle against a force known as Tenebris.





Legendary Creatures
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Legendary Creatures is the latest game from designer Christopher Hamm and published by Pencil First Games (Eduardo Baraf of Edo's Game Reviews fame). As with all of the other Pencil First Games titles, Legendary Creatures looks like a top notch, casual game perfect for families. It has some interesting deckbuilding mechanics blended with adventure and excitement!


Pepper and Carrot: The Potion Contest
  • Have you heard of the web comic Pepper and Carrot? If not, go check it out now! This is an adorable web comic about a young witch and her pet cat and all the adventures they have. It'll remind you a little of Calvin and Hobbes, and the artwork is amazing. This game is a casual tile puzzle game inspired by the comic. It looks like another great family game, especially if you like puzzles and programming games.


Beasts of Balance & Battles Expansion
  • I first saw Beasts of Balance when it was originally on Kickstarter (as Fabulous Beasts) last year and thought it looked pretty cool, but the price was pretty high. Then we found a copy of the game at a store in a mall around Christmastime. They had a demo of it set up, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play... because my son and his friend hogged it all evening! They didn't want to leave the store they were having so much fun! So I'm seriously considering backing this for my sons for Christmas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment