Friday, October 27, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #31

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of October, 2017:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Best Treehouse Ever: Forest of Fun
  • A couple of years ago my family got me Best Treehouse Ever for Father's Day. I think it's a great, simple drafting game that's a wonderful filler or game to teach non-gamers. It's not very deep at all, but is super fun and I love the whimsical rooms that you can add to your treehouse. Now I'm super excited to see a stand-alone expansion for the game that can be combined with the original to play up to 8 players! Drafting games are great for big groups because there's no downtime, and since my family game night groups are getting bigger as the kids want to play more games, this would be a great addition to the collection.


It’s time to build another treehouse!

In the new stand-alone sequel to the Golden Geek Nominated Best Treehouse Ever (Best Card Game, Best Family Game, 2015), Best Treehouse Ever: Forest of Fun, players compete to build their best treehouse, outfitting their treehouse with cool rooms, and creating fun habitats for their favorite furry and feathered friends, while also making sure that their tree doesn't tip over and that their rooms are more impressive than all of their friends' rooms at the end of the game.

In addition, our treehouse builders have leveled up their experience by visiting new locations in the forest that provide special abilities to help them in their new build. Building takes place over three weeks/rounds, and in each round, players use card drafting and spatial reasoning to add five new rooms to their treehouse. Players must pay attention to the other treehouses being built since they take turns determining which types of rooms score for everyone at the end of each round. At the end of the third week, the winner is the player with the best treehouse ever!

But the best part? Best Treehouse Ever: Forest of Fun can be combined with Best Treehouse Ever to play up to 8 players!





The Valley of Alchemists
  • Gorgeous components, fun artwork, and an easy, yet deep set collection mechanic make this look like a great family, light strategy, gateway game. I expect big things from this one!


Sarah's Singularity
  • Sarah's Singularity looks like a very fun time-travel game with asymmetric player powers that can change over the course of the game. Everyone plays as the same character, just from different time streams with different abilities. But as you choose locations and times to visit, if you encounter another player's version of yourself you'll cause a paradox and both of you will become a different version of Sarah. This sounds pretty unique, and potentially a lot of fun!


Board Game Creative Kit
  • For my son's 8th birthday we decided to get him components so he could design his own games (until then he had just used cast-offs from my designs to spur his creative juices). So we pieced together a collection of dice, pawns, meeples, coins, cards, tokens, boards, and more from stuff I was able to scrounge, components I had sitting around, and stuff from Amazon and The Game Crafter. He ended up loving everything, but it was a huge hassle for us to piece everything together. Well, now there's the Board Game Creative Kit on Kickstarter, which is a great collection of the most essential components needed to build prototypes of your own games. The kit doesn't cover everything, and chances are you'll still end up hitting a craft store or The Game Crafter if your design has any unusual components, but this kit has all the core components you'll need. It's a great set to get to start a collection of game design components, and the price is very reasonable, too!


Perdition's Mouth - Revised Edition
  • Ive heard a lot of good things about this game and the combination of theme, minis, and mechanics are super intriguing. I missed out on the first campaign, and on the expansion campaign. I'm seriously considering jumping in on this one, if only my budget allowed it...


Ancient Aliens: Creators of Civilization
  • I think the name here is probably turning people off to this game. Those mockumentaries about how all ancient history is the result of aliens visiting the Earth thousands of years ago are incredibly preposterous, silly, and bizarre. Yet they're presented as fact, which is both sad and hilarious. Unfortunately I think there's a stigma against this theme just from that. However underneath the theme, this looks like a fascinating 4x style card driven game that could be pretty fantastic. The premise and theme of the game is a bit far fetched, but is it really any more far fetched than a 1920s filled with diesel powered mechs? Or a near future populated with zombies? Not really, so I hope people look past the association with meme-worthy cable tv shows and see the interesting game that's presented here.


Pigment
  • At first glance this looks very similar to Starving Artists, but upon closer inspection it's a very different game with a similar theme. Pigment is a worker placement style game about renaissance painters trying to get the pigments they need to complete their paintings. It plays in about 20 minutes, and looks like a great, lightweight worker placement game that would be great to introduce non-gamers to the genre or as a fun filler.

No comments:

Post a Comment