Friday, December 8, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #34

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of December, 2017:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Runes of Ragnarok
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Runes of Ragnarok slipped under my radar initially, until designer Christopher Davis completed the People Behind the Meeples interview last week. If you like casual dice combat, player elimination games like King of Tokyo, but want a tad bit more depth and strategy, check out Runes of Ragnarok. The game is in its last week on Kickstarter and could use a bit of help funding. It's got great art, a cool theme, and 40+ custom dice! Be sure to check it out today!


Runes of Ragnarok is a dice-based elimination game steeped in Norse mythology. Play as a god and wield awesome powers, summon epic allies to fight by your side, sling dynamic spells to change the tides of battle, and if you're lucky discover a legendary relic to take your game to the next level.

The Story

Odin, the Allfather, ruler of Asgard and protector of the Nine Realms, has gone missing. Now, the world tree Yggdrasil is in turmoil. Its branches shake violently, threatening to destroy the Nine Realms in the cataclysm known as Ragnarok. As the barriers between worlds crumble, monsters and magical creatures spill into Asgard, ravaging the once beautiful land.

You are a legendary Norse god who has decided to take up Odin's mantle and become the new Allfather. The problem is, you're not the only one. Only the strongest hero can sit upon the throne of Asgard and hope to stop Ragnarok before it is too late.





Potlatch
  • Potlatch is card game about coast salish economics. I know that doesn't sound very interesting, except for the fact that you're probably sitting there thinking "what the heck is 'coast salish economics'?" I wondered the exact same thing, and went to the campaign page, where I saw the tag line: "Potlatch is a card game based on indigenous economic systems of sharing, gifting, and status. It uses both English and Lushootseed." Now I was even more intrigued. So I read on and learned quite a bit just from reading the campaign page. So that's why this game is on the list. Any game that teaches me something just from the campaign page, and looks like a very unique game, is definitely worthy of catching my interest. If you like card games, or interesting economic systems, or unique semi-cooperative gameplay, or games that really teach something while holding their own as interesting games, be sure to check out Potlatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment