Friday, January 26, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #36

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of January, 2018:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Newspeak
  • GJJ Games Review - Coming Soon
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I received Newspeak to review a week before the campaign launched, so you'll see a review soon, but I can give a spoiler... Newspeak wasn't a hit with everyone I played with - it's a lot more social than my usual group likes (they're into heavier strategy and euro style games), but it's definitely an interesting game if you like social brain burners. Newspeak is a social game with teeth. Fans of games like Spyfall, Mysterium, Codenames, and Dixit who want something just a bit deeper will love this. You really need to think on your feet, regardless of if you're on the side of the Mods or Dissidents. Newspeak will have you talking, laughing, and thinking creatively.


Coordinate the revolution or suppress dissent in this immersive code-breaking team game of subterfuge and subversion for 3-6 citizens. NewSpeak is a game of code-breaking and subterfuge, set in a bleak near future for three to six players. In the not-too-distant future, Britain is a high-tech paradise. The world seems perfect, thanks to the security app ‘ModNet,’ which identifies undesirable locations and Moderates them. Moderated Locations appear idyllic by manipulating the augmented reality eyeware virtually everyone now wears. A small group of Dissidents seeks to challenge ModNet's hold on society. Attempting to evade Moderators’ notice, they swap coded messages, planning to hack into location display settings and reveal the world for what it is.




Tiny Epic Zombies
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I was on the fence about backing this for a few days. Up until the last Tiny Epic Defenders campaign where I'd have had to replace my 1st edition copy of the game in order to use the expansion (that didn't feel right, and I couldn't see spending a total of $72 for Tiny Epic Defenders once you factored in shipping and the first edition), I had backed every Tiny Epic game immediately. Tiny Epic Zombies gave me pause. I have friends that have Last Night on Earth and Zombicide, and I wasn't sure that my group needed another zombie game. But in the end (ok, after just a couple of days), I relented and backed this. The amount of game packed into the tiny epic games is amazing, and a zombie game that can play in about 30 minutes sounds perfect. I've already made room on my shelf for it!


The Kraken - Expansion for Dead Men Tell No Tales
  • A Kraken and miniatures for an already awesome game even more awesome. Everything about this looks absolutely amazing!


Brian's Got Game
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Kids and games, awesome! My boys love games, and I love seeing other families that love playing games, too. And there are few kids that are more enthusiastic about games than Brian over at Brian's Got Game. There are tons of board game reviewers out there, but I think Brian is the youngest, or at least the youngest that has his very own channel. All the games are reviewed by Brian (occasionally with the help of his family), and he does a great job. He's definitely a reviewer worth adding to your subscription list, especially if you are into playing games with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment