Tuesday, February 20, 2018

People Behind the Meeples - Episode 108: Nathan Everett

Welcome to People Behind the Meeples, a series of interviews with indie game designers.  Here you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about the people who make the best games that you may or may not have heard of before.  If you'd like to be featured, head over to http://gjjgames.blogspot.com/p/game-designer-interview-questionnaire.html and fill out the questionnaire! You can find all the interviews here: People Behind the Meeples. Support me on Patreon!


Name:Nathan Everett
Email: losttreasuregames@gmail.com
Location:Sydney, Australia
Day Job:I work in the digital games industry, currently doing QA testing.
Designing:Five to ten years.
Webpage:www.losttreasuregames.com
BGG:Lost Treasure Games
Facebook:Lost Treasure Games
Twitter:@LostTreasureG
Other:https://tabletopgeneration.com/profile/losttreasuregames
Find my games at:Check out War of Supremacy on Kickstarter today!
Today's Interview is with:

Nathan Everett
Interviewed on: 1/2/2018

This week we get to learn a bit about Nathan Everett, a designer out of Sydney, Australia. He runs Lost Treasure Games and has his first game launching on Kickstarter today. War of Supremacy is gorgeous looking card game where players battle over territories. So take a look at his game today, and read on to learn more about Nathan.

Some Basics
Tell me a bit about yourself.

How long have you been designing tabletop games?
Five to ten years.

Why did you start designing tabletop games?
I always had a love of games growing up. This was mixed between digital gaming (Nintendo) and playing board games like Monopoly with the family. I also enjoyed designing games and had big ideas for large worlds and epic adventures. I guess this led me to the digital gaming industry with the main goal to show people all my creations and the worlds I created. While I have been working in the digital gaming industry, I did not feel I was working towards my goal. Therefore, I started working on my own card games as a hobby for the last 10 years. I enjoyed seeing my friends and family play and enjoy the games. Now I am finally pushing past it being a hobby and am now trying to get it printed and published through Kickstarter. Hopefully this is the start of many more games to come.

What game or games are you currently working on?
War of Supremacy will be my first Kickstarter (hopefully published) game. However, I have been working on another game in the same universe for 8+ years called Time of Ascendance. I have many other ideas, but those are the two that have been developed enough to be called ready.

Have you designed any games that have been published?
Not yet, but hopefully soon.

What is your day job?
I work in the digital games industry, currently doing QA testing.

Your Gaming Tastes
My readers would like to know more about you as a gamer.

Where do you prefer to play games?
Usually at home with friends or family.

Who do you normally game with?
Either my partner or with friends.

If you were to invite a few friends together for game night tonight, what games would you play?
I enjoy most games and am happy to play any.

And what snacks would you eat?
Most game days are at mine, so I usually provide chips and lunch. However, I always bring down the paper towels before they touch the components.

Do you like to have music playing while you play games? If so, what kind?
No music, I prefer the communication between players.

What’s your favorite FLGS?
Don't really go to many, but would have to be Gametraders near my place.

What is your current favorite game? Least favorite that you still enjoy? Worst game you ever played?
Favorite game - Currently either Carcassonne or Marvel Legendary. This is because I can play with my partner and friends who are only starting to get into boardgaming. They also offer a good amount of strategy. Least favorite that you still enjoy - I am not the biggest fan of social deduction games. Avalon is probably one of the social deduction games that I will play and enjoy. Worst game you ever played - What I dislike more than social deduction; Dexterity games. For that reason, I can't stand Jenga, and will usually refuse to play it.

What is your favorite game mechanic? How about your least favorite?
Favorite game mechanic - Deck building Least favorite - Dexterity

What’s your favorite game that you just can’t ever seem to get to the table?
Mage Knight. Too much time for set/clean up.

What styles of games do you play?
I like to play Board Games, Card Games, RPG Games, Video Games

Do you design different styles of games than what you play?
I like to design Board Games, Card Games, Video Games

OK, here's a pretty polarizing game. Do you like and play Cards Against Humanity?
With the right people

You as a Designer
OK, now the bit that sets you apart from the typical gamer. Let's find out about you as a game designer.

When you design games, do you come up with a theme first and build the mechanics around that? Or do you come up with mechanics and then add a theme? Or something else?
Theme currently. I love fantasy and usually try base it around the world I created. I need to try design something outside my comfort zone in the future however.

Have you ever entered or won a game design competition?
Have not entered.

Do you have a current favorite game designer or idol?
No

Where or when or how do you get your inspiration or come up with your best ideas?
I usually play a board game (or digital game) and then want to design something around the key gameplay mechanics.

How do you go about playtesting your games?
Usually dependent on what is being tested and the stage of development. Starts off with myself testing the core mechanics of the game. Seeing if its fun, flows and has potential. Once I feel there is a potential future I get my friends and family to playtest it and get feedback. Once it is closer to being ready, I go to local gaming groups to get feedback. Also conventions are a great way to get people. There are a lot of things you can discover from seeing people play the game. While feedback is great, seeing reactions throughout is probably the best way to gauge what needs to be changed and tweaked.

Do you like to work alone or as part of a team? Co-designers, artists, etc.?
I work alone, however I have got amazing freelance artists to help and a lot of friends and family that provide feedback.

What do you feel is your biggest challenge as a game designer?
Generally - Finishing the game. The most enjoyable parts of game design is the initial design and getting the core mechanics solid and game flowing. The hard part is finalizing, balancing and completing the product. Personally - Putting myself and product out there.

If you could design a game within any IP, what would it be?
Fallout or Batman

What do you wish someone had told you a long time ago about designing games?
Don't get too attached to your game. Feedback may hurt, but it is generally for the best.

What advice would you like to share about designing games?
Design games for you. Design a game that you would enjoy and want to play. Designing games should be fun and a passion rather than a job and chore.

Would you like to tell my readers what games you're working on and how far along they are?
This is what I have currently crowdfunding: War of Supremacy
I'm planning to crowdfund: War of Supremacy
Games I feel are in the final development and tweaking stage are: War of Supremacy, Time of Ascendance

Are you a member of any Facebook or other design groups? (Game Maker’s Lab, Card and Board Game Developers Guild, etc.)
yes, most of them

And the oddly personal, but harmless stuff…
OK, enough of the game stuff, let's find out what really makes you tick! These are the questions that I’m sure are on everyone’s minds!

Star Trek or Star Wars? Coke or Pepsi? VHS or Betamax?
Star Wars. Both taste the same to me. VHS

What hobbies do you have besides tabletop games?
Digital gaming. I love Overwatch. And also reading books.

What is something you learned in the last week?
Barenpark, Azul :P

Favorite type of music? Books? Movies?
Music - Rock Books - Epic Fantasy Movies - Action/Comedy

What was the last book you read?
Stormlight Archive - Oathbringer

Do you play any musical instruments?
I failed playing the triangle in primary school

Tell us about something crazy that you once did.
I have run a marathon.

Who is your idol?
Don't have one.

What would you do if you had a time machine?
See the dinosaurs.

Are you an extrovert or introvert?
Introvert

If you could be any superhero, which one would you be?
Batman

Have any pets?
nope

When the next asteroid hits Earth, causing the Yellowstone caldera to explode, California to fall into the ocean, the sea levels to rise, and the next ice age to set in, what current games or other pastimes do you think (or hope) will survive into the next era of human civilization? What do you hope is underneath that asteroid to be wiped out of the human consciousness forever?
There are so many great games that I don't want anything to be wiped out, except for maybe Jenga.

If you’d like to send a shout out to anyone, anyone at all, here’s your chance (I can’t guarantee they’ll read this though):
Thank you to all my friends and family that have helped and given feedback on my games throughout the years. Especially my partner Maricar, who is probably fed up with all my ideas and talking about WoS and ToA.

Just a Bit More
Thanks for answering all my crazy questions! Is there anything else you'd like to tell my readers?

Just want to say thank you for taking the time to read this. It feels amazing that anyone would want to. Also a big thanks to George for having this space for designers. It is truly appreciated. I would love to chat more, about boardgames or anything in general. Come say hello.




Thank you for reading this People Behind the Meeples indie game designer interview! You can find all the interviews here: People Behind the Meeples and if you'd like to be featured yourself, you can fill out the questionnaire here: http://gjjgames.blogspot.com/p/game-designer-interview-questionnaire.html

Did you like this interview?  Pleasse show your support: Support me on Patreon! Or click the heart at Board Game Links , like GJJ Games on Facebook , or follow on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my favorite! My dream is to have a board game on shelves across the world.

    ReplyDelete