Friday, January 10, 2020

Eye on Kickstarter #79


Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any related reviews or interviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2019 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of January, 2020:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Lift Off! Get me Off This Planet!
by Pencil First Games
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • This was the first game published by Pencil First Games, and now it's back with an updated, extended edition. The gameplay is the same, and the original is very highly praised, but the components are updated with deluxe items included, and some expanded content is included. This edition also includes a solo mode!


It’s been a fun existence, but someone tripped over a coolant cord in the core and the planet you’ve called home for eons is going to explode.
  • The objective of Lift Off! Get me off this Planet! is to be the first player to get their Aliens off the planet using resource cards, action cards‚ and phases of the moon.
  • Lift Off! Get me off this Planet! is a fresh, lightweight take on unit placement and resource management. The cooperative-to-competitive dynamic and imminent doom creates strong tension and drama at the end of the game.
  • It's an easy to learn, fast-paced game, where everyone feels engaged and "in it" until someone has won or the planet explodes!
  • This is Pencil First Games' original title which funded on Kickstarter in 2014 and released in 2015. Lift Off! received a Seal of Approval from The Dice Tower.





  • Adventure Maze: Flip Books
    by River Hill Games
    • GJJ Games Backed
    • I enjoy mazes, and so do my sons. This collection of books takes mazes in a completely new direction, having them span multiple pages in the books. Folding pages lets you move from one maze to another in a very innovative way. You'll get to find and acquire stickers along your journey that you'll be able to keep track of. Plus, the mazes and stickers are all reusable! So not only can I play, but the rest of my family can play, too! For just $20 I figured it was worth a shot (and it's even less if you want only one or two of the booklets).


    Almanac: The Dragon Road
    by Kolossal Games
    • People Behind the Meeples Interview
    • I'm a fan of Scott Almes's designs, and this looks like a very interesting take on worker placement games. As the game progresses your worker action options will change as you journey through a book of locations. Depending on the "path" you take to the end of the book you'll have a completely different game experience each time you play. This sounds like a fascinating mechanic!


    APEX: Theropod Deck-Building Game
    by Outland Entertainment
    • A friend of mine has an older copy of this game and I've played it once or twice. It's a great deck-building game with a great theme. I know there were problems with fulfillment with a past campaign, and other issues with previous versions, but if you're willing to give this new company a chance, it's a solid game!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment