Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call - Unboxing

I have been a huge fan of the Tiny Epic series by designer Scott Almes and publisher Gamelyn Games ever since I saw Tiny Epic Defenders shortly after I discovered Kickstarter.  I was disappointed that I hadn't found out about Tiny Epic Kingdoms when its campaign was running, but was excited that I could buy a copy in my pledge for Tiny Epic Defenders.  Fast forward two years and the Tiny Epic games are still some of my favorite games and I've been backing each one in the series on day one.

Last summer was the campaign for the first full expansion for any of the Tiny Epic games; Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call.  I have eagerly been awaiting the game since last July and today it finally arrived.  It was only about 2 weeks later than projected, so that's pretty good.  And the quality is pretty much everything you would expect out of a Gamelyn Games production!  The box, card, print, and component quality is outstanding.  I only have two super minor issues, but they're super tiny.  First is the gold crown tokens.  They're made from plywood instead of solid wood like the other components appear to be.  This is probably due to the manufacturing process used to make them, but it does stand out a bit.  Second is the colors of the components.  They're ever so slightly different from my 1st Edition Tiny Epic Kingdoms.  It's most noticeable in the orange, purple, and white pieces, but even there it's only if you look closely, and it's probably not a problem if you bought the 2nd edition of Tiny Epic Kingdoms.  And it definitely won't affect my enjoyment of the game.

Anyway, without further ado, here are a bunch of pictures of the game and the components, including a few of TEK:HC bundled with TEK.  Most won't have captions, but a few (particularly showing the color comparisons toward the end) will.  Enjoy!  And as always, if you like this review please show your support by clicking the heart at Board Game Links , liking GJJ Games on Facebook , or following on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.






Here you can see the difference in the plywood crowns. 
Faction Card Fronts 
Faction Card Backs 
The Territory Cards are double sided. 
Solo play day side. 
Sol play night side. 
Hero cards. 
Here you can see the slight difference in the colors.  The towers to
the left and the small meeples are from the 1st Edition.
The new orange is more vibrant and like a day-glow orange.
The white is just a little more off-white or gray.
The purple is also more vibrant.
The blues are very close, but the new blue might be a tad duller.
The black is still black.





GJJG Game Reviews are independent, unpaid reviews of games I, George Jaros, have played with my family and friends.  Some of these games I own, some are owned by friends, some are borrowed, and some are print and play versions of games.  Where applicable I will indicate if games have been played with kids or adults or a mix (Family Play).  I won't go into extensive detail about how to play the game (there are plenty of other sources for that information and I'll occasionally link to those other sources), but I will give my impressions of the game and how my friends and family reacted to the game.  Quick Reviews will only get a single rating of 1-10 (low-high) based on my first impressions of the game during my first few times playing.  Hopefully I'll get more chances to play the game and will be able to give it a full review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment