Friday, November 10, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #32

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of November, 2017:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Gaming with Edo
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Ed Baraf is quite the personality in the board game industry. On top of designing some pretty great games and publishing both his and others' designs through Pencil First Games, he also produces several videos a week. He not only reviews games, but he also produces a ton of videos covering other topics, from game design to publication to industry news. All of this is filmed on his cell phone, balanced on a stack of games, with a cheap earbuds mic, in his home. He's running this Kickstarter to raise some funds to buy some more professional equipment, and if he can produce such excellent content with such limited resources, I can't wait to see what he can do with better tools.


Help make Season 4 of Gaming with Edo better than ever! Welcome to Edo's first Kickstarter as a content creator! Over the past three years, he has been thrilled to contribute to the board game and Kickstarter community with Game Reviews, KS Advice, and Industry Q&As on his Gaming with Edo YouTube Channel.




Dino Dude Ranch: Hatchlings
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview - Daniel Grek
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview - Dan Letzring
  • Dino Dude Ranch was a big hit for families and now Letiman Games is back with an expansion that looks great. Letiman games has a great track record of putting out some great, family friendly, medium weight filler games and DDR: Hatchlings makes a great game in their catalog even better! Be sure to check out Dino Dude Ranch: Hatchlings today, and maybe plan on picking up the base game, too, if you don't have it already. There's also a pledge level that'll get you a copy of Gadgeteers, which I really enjoyed!


City Park
  • Joe Bergmann of Just Because Games is a Patron of GJJ Games and he's just launched his first Kickstarter for City Park. This looks like a light, fast, filler game that would be great for families or for a quick 15 minute game while waiting for game night to start. Be sure to check it out and throw some support Joes way!


Downfall - Deluxified
  • ENDS TODAY!!!
  • Downfall initially slipped through my radar, but last week I took a closer look at the game and it looks pretty awesome! An engaging 4x game with incredible components, this one blew up and is well over 225% funded, with just a few hours left. If you haven't checked it out yet, check today before it ends!


Mountaineers
  • Are you tired of flat board games? Mountaineers includes an 18 inch (45 cm) high mountain that you get to climb! But Mountaineers isn't just a race to the top of the mountain, it's a game about completing challenging climbing routes. You'll need to manage resources, match patterns, and control vital climbing routes to win. This is quite the eye catching game, and is sure to turn some heads.


Envy
  • WARNING: ADULT CONTENT - I usually don't cover adult themed games on my site, but I'm making a small exception here. While I don't generally play vulgar themed games and focus on family friendly titles, I do have to say that this one is actually a fun game, despite the theme. I played it at Protospiel Milwaukee in April and it was a lot of filthy fun. No, it's not a thinky game, yes, the theme and jokes it produces are crass, and no, it won't win any awards. But it's not just another CAH clone and does have some fun, take-that gameplay. It's not terribly original, but it works well. You won't see me review it on my site because of the theme, but I can say that, if you are the right audience for the theme, the gameplay is fun.


Monster Slaughter
  • Have you ever watched a horror movie and thought the bad guys were all incompetent fools and if you were chasing those teenagers they'd have been wiped out in the first ten minutes of the movie? Well, here's your chance to lead a team of monsters to attack the group of teenagers experiencing all the monster movies at once. Show the other monsters how to properly hunt teenagers in this game with some fun mechanics, great artwork, and cool minis.


War Room
  • I'm not usually a huge fan of war games, although I'll play them when friends want to. However, War Room looks like it does some interesting things, and I love the polar projection map. Plus, it's the first game that my friend Tony has ever backed. He said he'd never be interested in backing a Kickstarter, but since Axis & Allies is one of his favorite games, he's been sucked in by this one by the same designer. So, down the rabbit hole he goes!


Stumped
  • Deck-builders are everywhere nowadays, and it seems they're all trying to do something new and unique without really accomplishing that. It's rare for a deck-builder on Kickstarter to capture my attention lately, but Stumped has managed to do that. Not only do you have to manage your cards like a traditional deck-builder, but you also get to grow a tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment