Friday, November 24, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #33

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of November, 2017:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Gearworks
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Gorgeous artwork, original gameplay, and deep strategy make Gearworks a game like no other in your collection! Each turn you'll be presented with a Sudoku-like puzzle for placing cards into a grid to maximize your benefits while adhering to some placement rules. If you like puzzle-y games where you get to build awesome contraptions, check out Gearworks. It's accessible to gamers of all experience levels (gateway to hard-core) and a very reasonable price, too!


Sudoku meets steampunk in a visually stunning card game for 2-4 players. Gearworks is a steampunk strategy card game featuring card placement, hand management, and a "twist" on area control. Strategically position your gears to fix a mysterious clockwork machine in the corner of the workshop. Collect parts and build fantastical contraptions! Will the other tinkerers sabotage your efforts or will you earn the workshop owner's favor and become the master tinkerer?




Living Planet
  • This looks like a pretty amazing game with a cool narrative element about colonizing a planet that is alive! Certain elements of the story remind me of a novel by Greg Bear that I read years ago called Legacy where people attempt to colonize a living planet. This is by the same designer as Archipelago, so he's got a good reputation, but it's curious that the only review on the page is actually an interview with the designer...


Animator vs Animation: The Official Card Game
  • This is a pretty light take-that style game, but I loved the Animator vs Animation videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment