Friday, September 7, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #49

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the FIRST* Friday of September, 2018:

It's been a while since I've posted an Eye on Kickstarter - 6 weeks! In the weeks following GenCon the Kickstarter world was fairly quiet and nothing really grabbed my attention. But in the last few weeks Kickstarter has come alive again! Technically I should wait until next week for this post (I usually do the 2nd and 4th Fridays), but I had so many campaigns pop up, plus I know there are a ton more awesome ones on the near horizon (Lockup, Tiny Epic Mechs, and tons more) that I decided to get this out a week early.

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
Aromat


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
For the Love of Board Games
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • For the Love of Board Games approaches the subject at a much deeper level. This is a book that you'll actually invest time into. The chapters aren't short summaries, they're in-depth interviews and essays with each designer. If you're all about tabletop games, especially if you're a designer yourself, this should be an invaluable read. Personally, I look forward to learning more about some of my favorite designers.


For the Love of Board Games is a book that explores how modern, popular board games were created by interviewing the designers behind the games. Stories in this book come from some of the industry’s biggest board game designers: Matt Leacock, Jamey Stegmaier, Bruno Cathala, Richard Garfield, Reiner Knizia, and many others.

Every chapter features a different board game designer and discusses not only the inspiration behind the game(s) they designed but how they started playing board games and got involved in the industry.

Designers will also reveal stories about board games they designed, but never published!

Readers will discover the fun facts and challenges behind some of their favorite board games and be able to catch an exciting glimpse of the designer’s future plans. Full of exclusive interviews and never-before-told stories, For the Love of Board Games is a must-have gift for tabletop gamers of all ages.





Rap Godz
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • I'm not really a fan of rap music, but this game looks like an interesting peek into that world with some interesting mechanics and fun artwork and rap culture parodies.


The Ancient World 2nd Edition
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • ENDING TODAY!!! I'm a huge fan of Ryan Laukat's work. I haven't played the first edition of this game, but it's been on my radar. Now there's a chance to get the updated 2nd edition, plus some really awesome metal coins. What's not to love!


Sword of the Stars: Control
  • This lighter hand management and area control game makes me think of Smash Up, however it feels more strategic and thematic. I'm not sure about the take-that aspects of the game though.


Midnight Legion: Portal of Life
  • This is the third book in the Midnight Legion trilogy, a fully colored, illustrated choose-your-own-adventure style game book series. I've recently discovered this genre of games and am quickly falling in love. I loved the CYOA books as a kid and recently worked my way through Journal 29 with my wife. I also have the Graphic Novel Adventures books that I'm just itching to have the time to play through. This looks like another excelllent title in that genre.


Planetarium: Primordial
  • Planetarium has been on my wishlist for a while now, with it's gorgeous artwork and astronomy theme. Now there's an equally gorgeous expansion available.


Nanty Narking
  • I just couldn't get into Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, so the Ankh-Morpork game that's been out of print for a while wasn't especially interesting to me thematically. Now there's a reprint of it, with an awesome Victorian London theme that brings in a combination of historical and fictional characters from the era and includes some really fantastic artwork. This will definitely make me take a second look!


What's For Dinner
  • This just looks like a silly, fun game with some set collection and hand management mechanics. The theme is cute and the gameplay looks fast, fun, and solid.


Bad Maps
  • Programming games can be quite fun, but a bit chaotic. Bad Maps looks like exactly that. Work with other players to build a treasure map, then resolve it and see if your pirate goes where you want to go.


Dice Coins 2018 2nd Release
  • A few years ago I reviewed Ultra Coins, a game about battling armies that used these spinning coins to resolve combat. The game itself was just OK, but the coins were incredible. Now the coins are back in the form of dice coins. You spin them and then stop them with your finger to see the result. This mechanic works wonderfully and there's something fascinatingly addictive to spinning the coins. These are definitely a unique way to get a set of dice.


Eye for an Eye
  • Eye for an Eye is a game set in the Occulites universe, as in Dawn: Rise of the Occulites (a 2-4 player scenario based skirmish game that is in my review queue). The first game is huge and absolutely gorgeous. Eye for an Eye looks to be a much smaller, simpler game, but with some very interesting real-time mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment