Friday, October 12, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #51

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of October, 2018:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Tinderbox Tales
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Tinderbox Tales are three games (they can be purchased together or individually) that are set in the town of Tinderbox, the same town that The Brigade is set in (which I reviewed last year). All three look like very fun games and have awesome artwork and gorgeous presentation.


Tinderbox Tales features three beautifully Illustrated small box games, presented in the style of bound books. Each is unique in style, providing you with a gaming experience for every occasion. Back your favourite or collect the set!

For some small box strategy, reach for The Trader's Tale - sharpen your trading tactics with this 2 - 4 player game of worker placement and resource management.

When it's time for party sized fun with friends, old or new, it's time for The Barmaid's Tale! - 4+ players, Social Strategy, 20 minute playtime - Ice Breaker and Party Game.

For a more intimate head-to-head challenge with a favourite friend or foe, reach for The Damsel's Tale - 2 Player, Asymmetrical Strategy, 25 minute playtime - Hand Management.

As the name suggests, each game includes a short story set in the fantasy town of Tinderbox, weaving all three Tales into a storyline rich with the history, politics and characters of the town. Players can then recreate key events in the story for themselves through the game-play of these three unique games.





Tranquility Base
  • It seems like sometimes uncommon themes appear in spurts, so you'll get multiple games about pandas, or Robin Hood, or something else all at the same time trying to get funded on Kickstarter. The flavor of the month right now seems to be historical games about the early space race. Tranquility Base is the first game with this theme. Tranquility Base is actually an older game, based on 1997's award winning Moonshot. This looks like an interesting update to the original game, although I wonder if the gameplay will feel a bit outdated


Lovelace and Babbage
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Artana Games is becoming known for producing interesting games based on history, and scientific history in particular. On top of being based on the earliest days of modern computing, Lovelace and Babbage is designed by Scott Almes, whose games I really enjoy.


Space Explorers
  • Space Explorers is the second game on this list themes on the space race. This tableau building game features historical space missions from both the US and the Soviet Union. The retro artwork and gameplay both look great.


Lunarbaboon's Parenting is Easy
  • The game here looks pretty simple, but the theme is hilarious! Featuring comics all about parenting by Lunarbaboon, the game promises to be a riot. Plus you can also get the ABCs book and a plush Anxiety Troll if you like. I wonder if the gameplay will hold up after the initial humor is old, but it might be worth getting for the humor anyway.


Hollywood Death Race
  • This looks like a hilariously chaotic racing game that really hits home with its nostalgic parodies. However I'm worried that the company currently has two outstanding Kickstarters (they say those games are in production, however) and the fact that they don't have any licensing agreements for the IPs that they are parodying are big red flags. I wish them luck, because the game looks awesome, but I can't recommend backing this. Maybe if it succeeds it'll be something to look for in retail.


Trailhead
  • I'm always looking for new games that are great for camping. Trailhead looks like a simple, fun game in a small package, perfect to take camping.


Towers of Arkhanos
  • Dice drafting and worker placement drive this game where you actually build three dimensional towers. I love the idea that sometimes your workers get stuck holding up parts of the towers.


Wardens
  • Wardens has been plastered all over social media. It's a Lovecraftian game where you actually have the opportunity to play as Cthulhu and his minions! The artwork is awesome, there are a ton of miniatures, and the gameplay looks interesting. I hope it lives up to the hype it's getting!

No comments:

Post a Comment