Friday, October 26, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #52

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of October, 2018:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
SKulk Hollow
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview - Keith Matejka
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview - Ed Baraf
  • Skulk Hollow is one of the games that I ran demos for at Gen Con this year and I quite enjoyed it. There is quite a bit of variability with the different Guardians and Foxen leaders and the asymetrical gameplay is a ton of fun. The rules are very simple, and the game plays quickly. I can't wait for the opportunity to play again!


An asymmetric, combat game between the legendary Guardians and the Foxen clans of Børe.

Over generations and generations, the ancient woodland of Børe prospered and grew. The spirit of the world lifted the animals to new heights, bestowing great gifts upon them. The Foxen race grew proud and true.

That is, until the Guardians rose. No one quite knows why they came, but these are not the kind, life-giving Guardians of spiritual legend. These are darker, more ferocious versions, and now they're wreaking havoc in the realm.

Skulk Hollow is a 2-player, asymmetric, tactical combat game where players take the roles of either a band of Foxen heroes or a towering behemoth of a Guardian.
  • One vs Many Asymmetric Combat creates a fresh, fun, 2-player experience.
  • Action takes place on the Board AND the Guardian. Not only does the battle occur on the Kingdom board, but the foxes must traverse full size, Guardian gameboards. Each guardian has unique routes and abilities to stop the foxen.
  • Dual Purpose Cards give players a wide range of movement and ability powers while keeping them quick to pick and easy to play.
  • Unique Foxen Nobles and Guardians creates a range of tactics and dynamics, adding depth and strategy that makes each game a new challenge.
  • Skulk Hollow is a 30-45 minute game for 2 players, aged 8 and up.





    Dreams of Tomorrow
    • People Behind the Meeples Interview
    • I love the theme of this game. It's a bit of time travel as well as dream themes. THe artwork is gorgeous and the gameplay looks pretty unique.


    Cloudspire
    • Chip Theory Games is doing some pretty interesting things with poker chips and neoprene mats. In Cloudspire you play as a faction fighting the other factions in a gorgeously illustrated floating world.


    Tidal Blades - Heroes of the Reef
    • Here's another game with stunning artwork along with some interesting twists on worker placement and dice management.


    UGEARS Mechanical Devices for Tabletop Games
    • UGEARS has been designing some really impressive mechanical wooden models that do some amazing things, considering they're just wood and a few other bits, like rubber bans and string. Now they've released a set of models that are useful for tabletop games. Some of these I think are more cool than useful (the deckbox looks a bit cumbersome), but I really, really like the DM screen. I don't play RPGs, but if I did, I'd love to have this screen.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment