Friday, January 25, 2019

Eye on Kickstarter #58

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of January, 2019:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Gardens of Babylon
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Gardens of Babylon is a tile laying game where players build the famous hanging gardens and plant the flowers that made the gardens legendary. It has some interesting mechanics that sets this apart from your usual tile laying games.


King Nebuchadnezzar II has spoken: "Build me the most wondrous gardens the world has ever seen!" The gardening guilds of Babylon have answered, and it is now up to the players, as leaders of these guilds, to build one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and lead their guild to victory in the cutthroat world of competitive gardening.

Gardens of Babylon is a 1-4 player, competitive euro-style game in which players strive to earn the most points by planting flower seeds on the most valuable tiles. Taking turns, players place tiles to create a maze-like ziggurat of pathways, strategically move their gardeners to gain positional advantage, and plant seeds to claim tiles, earning victory points and triggering cascades down connected waterways to steal those of their opponents in the process!

Featuring simple rules and strategic thinking, Gardens of Babylon offers infinite replayability with 78 distinct ziggurat tiles that form a unique 2.5-dimension modular board. A novel cascade mechanism allows a well-placed seed to change the course of the game in an instant, offering emergent gameplay and keeping players on their toes until the very end.





Dracula's Feast: New Blood


Tangled Timelines
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • This is a fast playing card game about time travel. It is a simple set collection game where you are trying to complete heroes' timelines before the deck runs out. Essentially it's a slightly modified version of Lamarckian Poker.


The Clowdus Collection
  • This is a collection of remastered games by designer John Clowdus, including Neolithic, Keep, and Merchants of Muziris. All three have decent ratings on BGG and these new editions look great!


NewSpeak
  • I received Newspeak to review a week before the first campaign launched, so I didn't have a chance to review it then. Since then the game has changed a bit and I was never sent updates, so I won't be reviewing it, but I can give my impressions of the original version I played. Newspeak wasn't a hit with everyone I played with - it's a lot more social than my usual group likes (they're into heavier strategy and euro style games), but it's definitely an interesting game if you like social brain burners. Newspeak is a social game with teeth. Fans of games like Spyfall, Mysterium, Codenames, Decrypto, and Dixit who want something just a bit deeper will love this. You really need to think on your feet, regardless of if you're on the side of the Mods or Dissidents. Newspeak will have you talking, laughing, and thinking creatively.


Suburbia: Collector's Edition
  • This edition of Suburbia comes with gorgeous new artwork, a tower to pull tiles from, and all the expansions and promos, plus a new expansion. If you like Suburbia this is a great way to get everything!


Vindication
  • This is an intriguing game that incorporates resource management, area control, tableau building, and more in what looks like an exciting race to build the strongest character before the game ends. However you don't know exactly when the game will end because the end game triggers change throughout the game.


Valor & Villainy: Minions of Mordak
  • In this RPG style board game you can either play as the villain or as part of a group of heroes set out to stop the evil wizard from destroying the world. This is being published by Skybound Games and Druid City Games, so you know it's going to have incredible production value.


Citizen
  • This is an interesting, and ambitious political game that uses actual historical and contemporary politicians' voting records, policies, and stance on various issues to let you shape America. Even though it's a political game it doesn't press any agenda, other than driving an interest in the political machine, landscape, and history.


Head Chef
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Head Chef is a fast playing action selection game about cooking recipes to gain fame. Tons of characters and recipes means tons of replayability!

No comments:

Post a Comment