Saturday, June 15, 2019

Eye on Kickstarter #67


Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any related reviews or interviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2019 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of June, 2019:

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
Mammoth


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Afternova
  • I was fortunate enough to play Afternova at Protospiel Milwaukee in April with Andrew Nerger, one of the designers. They were trying a variant that didn't quite work out they way they'd have liked, but the game was still pretty interesting. The main way to play (which is described in the Kickstarter) looks much better than the variant I played at Protospiel. It still has all the good parts, but streamlines the rough parts. The last game by Andrew Nerger and Jeffrey Chin was Crypt, which has quickly become my favorite game of 2019 so far, so I'm very interested to see where Afternova goes.


In the aftermath of a supernova, form uneasy truces with your competitors to extract resources from unstable planets.

Afternova is a negotiation game for 3 to 6 players with easy-to-learn rules and highly interactive gameplay. Plus, its compact size makes it easy to put in your bag and take it anywhere!





Company of Heroes Board Game
  • Company of Heroes was a great WWII strategy video game and now it's a board game with all the strategy of the original. It features a streamlined combat system that's (mostly) diceless (dice are used for status, upgrade, and effect indicators), interesting tactical and strategic decisions, and a whole ton of awesome components, including great looking WWII miniatures from US, German, British, and Soviet forces. If you're looking for a WWII game, this one looks awesome.


Stockpile: Illicit Investments
  • Stockpile is known as one of the best stock market games available and this campaign brings the base game, Continuing Corruption expansion, and the new Illicit Investments expansion to Kickstarter for a great price! Illicit Investments adds new investment strategies to the game without adding a lot of game rules overhead.


Exploration
  • This is Exploration's second time on Kickstarter. Last time it made the top spot in my Eye on Kickstarter, but the campaign just didn't take off. Now it's back with some updates and has taken off. It's already funded and knocking out stretch goals. Check this one out if you're interested in space themed 4x game. The artwork is great and the gameplay looks interesting.


Dwarven Miner - Reforged
  • I've been very happy with all the games I have from Rather Dashing Games and Dwarven Miner is one of their classics. It's back now, with some updates, including artwork from Larry Elmore, an amazing fantasy artist. Years ago I used to collect artist trading cards (like baseball cards, but nerdier), and Larry Elmore was one of the artists I collected. His artwork really stands out in this game.


Sovereign Skies
  • Another space themed resource management and area control game, Sovereign Skies has some interesting mechanics and a cool modular board that should keep the game interesting and different for quite a few plays.


Dungeon Drop
  • Dungeon Drop is a light dungeon crawler that's different every time you play! At the beginning of the game, and throughout the game, cubes are dropped into the playing area. These cubes represent treasure, mosters, and more that you can collect by creating rooms formed by black pillar cubes in the playing area.

No comments:

Post a Comment