Friday, June 28, 2019

Eye on Kickstarter #68


Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any related reviews or interviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2019 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the fourth Friday of June, 2019:



HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Roll Player: Fiends and Familiars
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • I first encountered Roll Player at Protospiel Madison in 2015 and immediately fell in love with the game. Since then I've excitedly followed along with the development of the first expansion, Monsters and Minions, this Fiends and Familiars expansion, and several other games set in the Roll Player universe (Lockup, Cartographers, and Adventures). The world that Keith is creating is incredibly rich and immersive and the games set in the world are amazing. I loved Roll Player as a stand-alone game. Monsters and Minions added so much more to the game, without bogging it down or adding too much complexity. Fiends and Familiars does the same thing - adds new layers without bogging the game down. It's rare that I feel the need to get expansions for games, but with Roll Player I can't imagine playing without them, even though without them I felt the game was awesome and didn't need anything more. That's a rare target to hit and Roll Player succeeds incredibly!


Roll Player: Fiends & Familiars is the exciting second expansion to the critically acclaimed Roll Player -- the dice game that builds character!

In Roll Player: Fiends & Familiars, players compete to construct the greatest fantasy characters, now with the help of Familiars and the hindrance of Fiends.

Familiars lend unique powers to their keepers, and along with new goods in the market, offer hope. But all the while, malicious Fiends torment the players with new obstacles.

Prepare for a showdown against an all new onslaught of Monsters and earn Reputation Stars by banishing their minions while developing your hero. Prove that your character with your familiar is the greatest champion of Nalos!





Empty Space Explorers
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • Check out this fun looking game about exploring space! Explore planets, moons, stars, nebulas, galaxies, and more, all while avoiding the black holes. I love the theme here and the gameplay looks simple, yet intriguing. Plus the game is chock full of gorgeous, real space imagery.


Endeavor: Age of Expansion
  • This is the first expansion for the very well received Endeavor that was a huge success on Kickstarter last year. Just like the base game, this is gorgeously produced and looks to add some new interesting features to the base game.


Darwinauts
  • I'm used to seeing tiny 18-card games from Green Couch Games, so I was a little surprised when I saw Darwinauts, which has a lot more than 18 cards. This looks like a fun tile laying, resource game with a cool theme and beautiful artwork, so check it out!


The Damsel's Tale
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • The Damsel's Tale was on Kickstarter last year as part of a set of games called the Tinderbox Tales. That didn't work out, so now the three games will be separate campaigns. The Damsel's Tale is a two-player hand management game that only uses 18 cards, a small game board, and a few components. It's a head-to-head battle of wits between the knight and dragon players.


Outburst Game Tables
  • GJJ Games Review - Coming Soon
  • It's not often I get a chance to review a game table, but I have a review of the Outburst tables coming soon. They're probably the only game tables I'll ever get a chance to review, and they're small enough to fit on my game shelf. These are novelty tables laser cut from premium plywood that are a silly little accessory that you can bring to game night so people have a table to flip to let out their frustrations without upsetting the whole game.

No comments:

Post a Comment